The Albion in Ware, Hertfordshire is a traditional 16th century pub situated on one of the town’s oldest streets, just a stone’s throw from the centre. It has a cosy, welcoming atmosphere with exposed original timbers and real fireplaces for the wintertime. The Albion serves home cooked food and cask ales, where everyone from locals to daytime workers can enjoy a relaxed lunchtime or evening drink. it makes a welcome change from the noisier high street pubs with no traffic roaring by to disturb the peaceful surroundings of Crib Street John Hawthorn looks forward to welcoming you to the Albion where you can still enjoy a little piece of Ware’s history. Over the last year our customers enjoyed approximately 46,000 pints! Come and help us enjoy a few more! We serve Adnams bitter and Flowers IPA on hand pump. Stella and Carlsberg lagers are on tap, as is Strongbow cider and, of course, Guinness. We also keep a wide range of bottled beers. We serve the usual range of red, white and rose wines. Our optics are brimming with well known brands including Bells, Famous Grouse, Jack Daniels, Courvoisier, Smirnoff Vodka, Bacardi, and GordonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Gin. A local saying is that every old house in Ware had at one time or another been a public house. Being recognised as probably Ware’s oldest thoroughfare, Crib Street plays its part in Ware’s rich heritage of licensed houses. Records give a total of 10 pub names in Crib Street. Now there is only one pub still open for trade; The Albion. It was run by Ron Herse, his wife Bella and her sister Stella until 1987 and by John and Christine Broughton till 1998. The Albion had a skittle alley in 1867 at the time when it was supplied by Phillips, the brewers of Royston. Later it was Flowers before the Whitbread take over. In 1845 it was acquired by Robert Welford Page, brewer of Ware. He built a malting on adjoining property. The earliest sign was recorded as depicting the White Cliffs of Dover; not the current ones or their predecessors, which show the HMS Albion. The 1911 Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire describes the following: ‘The Albion Inn, is a two storeyed house built late in the C16 or early C17, of timber and plaster, but partly rebuilt with modern brick; the roof is tiled. The plan is L-shaped; on the street front the ground storey is of modern brick; the upper storey is set with heavy studs and has angle-braces at the corners. The back is roughly plastered. Condition – good; partly rebuilt’.