Egremont is an area of the town of Wallasey, on the Wirral Peninsula, England. Historically part of Cheshire, it is bordered by New Brighton to the north, Liscard to the west and Seacombe to the south.
Egremont was considered part of the Liscard township until the 1820s, when expansion of Liscard was deemed significant enough that it should be split into two townships.
One of the earliest buildings in Egremont was the Liscard Manor House, also known as the ‘Seabank’. Dating back to the 1790s, it was home to the influential Penkett and Maddock families. The area which grew up around Seabank was eventually to become the Mariners’ home founded in 1892 by William Cliff.
The name of the area was decided by one Captain Askew who built a house in the area as early as 1835 and named the village ‘Egremont’ after his Cumberland birthplace.
Egremont Ferry was built in 1827 and was the longest pier on Merseyside until its dismantlement in 1946 due to a coaster having crashed into it, causing irreparable damage.
The MV Egremont, an ex-Mersey Ferry named for the town is still in use today, having been converted to a floating base for the Island Cruising Club, based in Salcombe, Devon to operate sailing courses from.
The Ferry pub dates from at least 1850,and was acquired by Higsons in 1901 who changed its name to the Egremont Ferry in 1925. It was described in 1980 as a popular riverside local selling Higsons Mild and Bitter by handpump. By that time it was one of only three or four pubs in Wirral which still had table service.
The Ferry has just been refurbished in December 2018 and is a great place to enjoy the best that an English pub has to offer!